Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pastina Pie



Pastina-Pie

Many years ago, down the jersey shore (again) I had gone into our favorite Italian trattoria. Doing what you would usually do on a Sunday morning, which includes picking up a batch of fresh mozz. The little Italian women who could barely see over the counter asked me if I would like to try this Sicilian dish she had just made. Naturally, I said yes. You would never refuse food from a little Italian women; one of life's lessons. She then told me the story that this is a dish that her grandmother made her in the fall-time in Sicily. I was so surprised because I thought I had the ultimate Sicilian grandmother, which I did, but had never heard of this dish before. She wasn’t willing to share the recipe however she did tell me a few of the ingredients and the rest I left to my tastebuds. I usually make pastina pie for Halloween but it has become such a favorite I do make it again in the summer when the family is all on vacation together.

Ingredients:

1 pound of pastina

4 ozs of shredded mozzarella

¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese

2 eggs

2 tsp of salt

½ tsp of sugar

Preparation:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare 8X12 (or something similar in size) baking dish with cooking spray.

Recipe:

Boil pastina for 5 minutes and drain. Place 2 eggs in a bowl and scramble, add salt and sugar and stir. Return drained pastina to the pot and add both cheeses and egg mixture, stir completely. Pour pastina mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until top of the pie is lightly golden brown. Let cool for 20 minutes and cut into brownie-sized squares.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to start using these recipes to cook for myself... I love anything with pastina!!!

    ReplyDelete